Alternating Wednesdays Sept 6-Nov 15, 8:30-9:30AM
Week 1 What and Why of SBIRT for Substance Use for Adolescents
- Learn what SBIRT stands for and what each component means.
- Learn why SBIRT is relevant and important for use with adolescents.
Week 2 Prevalence and Impact of Substance Use for Adolescents
- Recognize the prevalence of substance use among adolescents.
- Understand the impact of use and substance use in the lives of adolescents.
Week 3 Substance Use Screening Tools for Adolescents
- Learn how to administer and score validated substance use and mental health screening tools with adolescents.
- Learn how to interpret the screening score to determine the level of risk.
Week 4 Delivering Brief Interventions for Substance Use
- Learn the steps of brief intervention based on the Brief Negotiated Interview Model.
- Sharpen Motivational Interviewing skills for motivating health behavior change for adolescents.
- Recognize importance for working with family members and/or other key stakeholders.
Week 5 Referrals and Team-Based Care
- Learn which substance use disorder treatment options are best suited to address the needs of adolescents.
- Understand unique challenges that a provider will encounter when referring adolescents to treatment, relating to confidentiality and push back.
- Understand the importance of follow-up and learn what to cover while supporting care.
Week 6 TBD
Return to Training and Events Calendar