Website Alluvion Health
Creating and Inspiring Healthier Lives
The Medical Assistant (MA) performs routine administrative and clinical tasks to assist in the delivering primary health care to Alluvion Health patients. The Medical Assistant performs clinical support staff procedures along with providing preventive health care education to patients of Alluvion Health, including working with patients of all socioeconomic backgrounds in an effective, culturally and linguistically sensitive manner. Additionally, Medical Assistants will be responsible for making referrals to community services, providing program outreach and performing other duties as assigned.
All employees will exhibit the following behavioral traits:
Integrity and Trust
Individual is widely trusted and can present information and discuss situations in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidences, admits mistakes, doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain. Is respectful in action and communication with clients, patients and staff.
Adheres to the organization’s mission during times of ease or challenge, is dedicated to the expectations and requirements of the mission and vision, acts in line with the values identified by Alluvion Health.
Understands and supports the team approach and integrated model of Alluvion Health. Is seen as a team player, cooperative and supportive of his/her coworkers, practices what he/she preaches. Can be candid with peers and fosters open dialogue. Creates a feeling of belonging on the team and holds self and team accountable to those behaviors.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Creates and maintains respectful rapport with participants and co-workers;
2. Provides excellent customer service;
3. Provide direct patient care in a clinical setting;
4. Answers incoming calls and retrieves phone messages, responding in a timely fashion;
5. Documents demographic and clinical information within the electronic medical record system;
6. Gathers height, weight and other vitals;
7. Must carefully follow appropriate, and established, medical assistant protocols
8. Assists with daily setting up and cleaning of exam rooms;
9. Assists in ordering, stocking clinic supplies and educational materials;
10. Completes all required documentation and establishes or updates client information in the electronic medical record;
11. Assists and supports families in locating community resources;
12. Assists with program outreach;
13. Maintains confidentiality according to HIPAA;
14. Works as a team player with staff, patients and other community organizations to ensure quality services and program requirements are met to carry out the goals and objectives of Alluvion Health;
15. Performs duties efficiently and effectively;
16. Follows Alluvion Health’s policies and procedures;
17. Establishes and maintains productive working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and the public;
18. Maintains required agency/program immunizations.
19. Responsible for completing various special projects/events, which may require reviewing and analyzing information, identifying problems, recommending solutions and writing reports.
20. Performs a variety of other duties as assigned; which may include but are not limited to: directing or participating in special projects and events, conducting research, representing Alluvion Health at meetings and conferences, and attending continuing education and training events.
Knowledge and understanding of:
· Basic health care and medical assistant activities
· Basic medical scheduling and billing
· Basic computer data entry;
· General office practices;
· Community resources;
· Cultural sensitivity;
· HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules;
· Safety policies and procedures.
· Effective written and verbal communication
· Time management and organization;
· Computer use to manage data to meet essential job requirements;
· Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Windows, Internet;
· Customer service.
· Work as a team member;
· Take vitals such as height, weight, and blood pressure;
· Communicate effectively with patients of the program;
· Respond appropriately to an emergency or crisis situation;
· Adapt to changes in the work environment;
· Maintain confidentiality and compliance with HIPAA privacy and security rules;
· Work with patients with diverse social economic and cultural backgrounds in an empathic, non-judgmental, respectful and professional manner;
· Work with people from all walks of life, such as individuals with various social and emotional histories, high risk, unemployed, and homeless, abused and people with mental health conditions;
· Work independently with little direction but also with a team;
· Read and comprehend materials;
· Analyze and compile information;
· Occasionally lift up to 30 pounds;
· Pass a criminal background check;
· Observe required work hours;
· Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
· Demonstrate punctuality;
· Meet established timelines and/or deadlines;
· Observe established lines of authority;
· Identify problems that adversely affect the organization and its functions;
· Offer suggestions for improvements.
· Minimum of High School Diploma or High School Equivalency (HSE);
· Graduation from a Certified Medical Assistant program; certification is not required, but preferred. At least two years’ Medical Assistant experience within the past five years is required without certification.